last night I baked apple-cinnamon scones. I ate about 4.5 because they were so tasty. I ate them while watching "Michael" with Mom. I am taking a couple to Adri later today. I am proud of my scones because I made up the recipe at school. Adapted slightly from the Babycakes bakery scones, which I always love.
Later today I am planning on making the macaroni & cheese from blog.fatfreevegan.com
1. If you have to choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
i choose organic b/c there are not many locally grown products at the store.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
i do not like potatoes, or rather, potatoes do not like me because they make my tummy hurt. but i would have to say smashed, or baked with faux sour cream & cheese, salt & pepper.
3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
i did once, only because the recipe said to. i likes my tofu RAW.
4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
I would have to say my sister's guacamole. it gets eaten within 2 days. it is famous.
5. Any food allergies?
6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
hmmm..fancy. ? little tibet is pretty fancy although i eat there quite often.
7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
nothing usually. except tea. organic honeybush STASH tea is excellent with agave nectar.
8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)
filtered water from my tap. yum.
9. Name a flavor of soda you'd love to see:
i hate soda!!! i hate it i hate it. yuck carbonation. i love water.
10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
dirty food made by the elderly.
11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can't grow in your climate, what would it be?
oh...um...probably exotic rainforest fruits, SUPERFOODS like mangosteens, acqai, goji berries, and pomegranates.
12. Favorite type of mushroom?
no preference really. i used to eat a lot of wild mushrooms that mom and dad would find, right now i just like normal mushrooms. buttons?
13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
it is too small. i want a retro 50s kitchen with a bar.
14. Last food you burned?
my nutritional yeast sauce which was heating on the stove. but i like it burnt.
15. Usual response to a veg*n's favorite question, "But where do you get your protein?"
16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
carrot flavor. (authentic, not imitation)
17. Favorite brand of chocolate chips?
18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma- What do you buy?
what is williams-sonoma?
19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
yeah, i plan my menus in advance when i am hosting a party. um, tips...people love finger foods. so i don't serve up eight course dinners. cookies are a big hit, especially oatmeal chocolate chips, cupcakes are good too, and some kind of bread with a dip for that. to drink? people usually like water, and smoothies.
20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you're starving- What do you eat?
only 3 minutes? i would grab an apple and probably eat a peanut butter sandwich (on sesame ezekiel bread)
21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win and how?
martha stewart definitely. she would use her knowledge of EVERYTHING to outsmart the southerner, and the used to be cool talk show host
22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
pure organic maple syrup, cinnamon, mashed banana, and rice milk
23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
gosh that is a toughy...japanese food is very interesting. i used to eat a ton of it before i went vegan. and now i am limited to vegetable rolls. but i do love avocado roll.
i guess i would choose a place where i did not know much about their traditional dishes, like norway, sweden, or new zealand.
24. Favorite late night snack?
scones! adri and i once baked our "summer scones" at 2:30 am
25. Favorite springtime food?
springtime? hmmm that reminds me of salads with tomatoes and olives...and also the starting of fruit season!!! omg raspberries...i forgot....
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
VEGNEWS! and martha stewart living has pretty pictures of food. esp. eggs. i love pictures of eggs!
27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg's Aminos?
28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
fruit- strawberry, plums
29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long:
pumpkin pie at thanksgiving. last thanksgiving i made the best vegan pumpkin pie ever. it gave me a sugar headache. i had 2 pieces.
30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?
oh geez, gosh.....i wouldn't say adri b/c she pretty much already is...i guess one of mykes parents. they stock the fridge with meat and poor little vegan myke has no room for his nonexistant vegan food.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
original rice milk! and hemp is quite tasty too.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
hmmm..macaroni & cheese from the fat free vegan kitchen blog, jamie oliver's hummus, and carrot spice muffins from the fat free vegan kitchen blog.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
i do not eat nor like poopcorn.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
um..gosh..the cupcakes i just made on thursday. they were terrible. myke ate them though. the garbanzo flour was not very tasty in them.
5. Favorite pickled item?
hmmm i guess pickles although the last time i remember eating one of those was at katies halloween party
6. How do you organize your recipes?
my recipes are in my homemade cookbook, my zine "sweet soy" or stuck in my blue notebook, which is my original recipes.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
compost. (throw it out the door kinda girl)
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
1. peanut butter or wheat blueberry scones 2. daun's hummus (with tortilla chips) 3. my homemade broccoli-faux feta pizza
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
i remember eating lots of frosted flakes and fruit loops mixed together. those were goood. and also granny's chicken and noodles, which we brought home from xmas one year, and i ate the whole bowl-full. which was a great many noodles.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
homemade carob ice bean (recipe from THE FARM cookbook. a hippy commune in TN)
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
my rubber scraper. b/c it cleans the bowl!
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
um....my alpha bakery cookbook, which my mom sent it to get me a long time ago. i made 2 recipes from it, the honey bee cookies & lemon squares.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
i likes me dark purple jams, not grape, but blackberry is my favorite.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
maureen's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (from garden of vegan cookbook) they are the ultimate tasty cookie. everyone loves them (my friends, who are omni)
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
uh...tofu i guess. seitan is good n meaty feeling though. daun and i made BBQ seitan for thanksgiving. it was really really good. i wanted to make it today with annie's bbq sauce.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
i like cooking dinner. b/c lunch is a sandwich thing, and breakfast is ALWAYS cereal.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
tons and tons of bags of tortilla chips.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
bag of frozen fruit, flaxseed meal, and ghiradelli semisweet chocolate chips
20. What's on your grocery list?
well i actually just fulfilled my grocery list today, but i suppose more hemp seeds, more cereal, and hemp milk, oh and more Bfoods granola
21. Favorite grocery store?
Bloomingfoods! the big one!
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
thunder cake. oh my gosh it used to be my favorite cake. there is an old childrens book called 'thunder cake' and the cake recipe is in the book. it is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and fresh strawberries on top. yum yum.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
um i don't really have a preference. i looked at the fat free vegan kitchen for a long time last night and found tons of good recipes.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
i always love endangered species supreme dark chocolate, with the chimp on it, and i recently tried the ricemilk choco, with dark truffle center. it is exquisite, victorian era, nibbling chocolate.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
sun dried tomatoes in oil. i love them to death.
and organic pure maple syrup. b/c organic is always more expensive.
well i made curried lentils and rice last night. my sister's recipe. here is a not so lovely picture of them. they aren't very pretty in pictures. but they sure taste swell. i added some frozen vegetables to the curry and let them cook in there. the lima beans added a nice dense chewiness. i had 2 bowls. today we grocery shopped at target. bought ricemilk! mmmmm. my next post shall be "apple cinnamon scones". stay tuned!