9.08.2008

Papaw's Birthday! Sept. 6!  



Papaw's Birthday was on Saturday! I baked him a little vegan cake! It was a moist banana cake from www.veganvisitor.wordpress.com...Very good cake I may add, and so easy! Then I paired it with a thick, sugary caramel sauce from www.theppk.com (isa!) It was delicious! Everyone loved it. Granny ate it with non-vegan vanilla ice cream...ha. i don't think she gets veganism. Definitely love love love the banana cake. The sauce was super rich and I halved the recipe because it was so darn sweet! Here is a picture of the cake, and my Papaw! Also, I have the banana cake recipe, but rememeber it is from vegan visitor! My cake took about 30-35 mins. to cook in a small square glass pan. I omited the chocolate pieces, and did not toast my pecans. For my egg replacer, I mixed 2 TBS. flaxseed meal with 3 TBS. water in a cup. The cake looks like sticky toffee pudding! But doesn't taste like that wonderful Brit dessert!

EGGLESS BANANA CAKE

3 Ripe Bananas
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 teaspoon Salt
Replacer equal to one egg (+ water to package direction)
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 1/2 Cup Soft Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Pieces
1/2 Cup Broken, Toasted Pecans (optional)

Method

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.

In a large mixer, cream the bananas with the oil, sugar and vanilla.

Prepare the egg replacer as to the package directions and add it and the salt to the banana mixture.

Once well combined, add the baking powder and soda, followed by the flour, adding it in batches.

Stir in chocolate pieces and nuts, if using.

Oil and dust a 8″ round pan with flour. Pour in the batter and bake on the centre rack for about 40 -45 minutes.

Check bounce at the centre of the cake or insert and remove a toothpick. The cake is moist but it should come out fairly clean.

Allow to cool slightly and dust with confectioners sugar.

This recipe will also make a great loaf (55 - 65 minutes), 12 muffins(18-20 minutes) or 24 mini muffins (about 13 - 15 minutes).

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories